Chicken stew with pastis
• 1 free-range chicken weighing approximately 1.6 kg cut into pieces
• 1 kg of small fennel bulbs, peeled and cut in two if they are slightly bigger
• 5 cl of HB Pastis
• 20 cl of chicken stock
• 3 tomatoes
• 4 shallots
• 1 bouquet garni (thyme, bay leaf, parsley)
• 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
• 1 star anise
• 1 small quantity of saffron strands
• 5 cl of olive oil
• 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
• Salt, pepper
Preparation: 20 mins. Cooking: 45 mins.
Soak the saffron strands in the chicken stock.
In a casserole dish, brown the chicken pieces in half the olive oil over a high heat.
Do this in small batches so they don't overlap and can be nicely browned on all sides.
Remove and add the shallot slices.
When they are transparent, return the chicken pieces to the pan. Pour in the HB Pastis and flambée away from the heat.
When the flames go out, return to the heat and add the crushed tomatoes, bouquet garni, fennel seeds and star anise. Stir, leave to sweat for 3 mins, then add salt, pepper and the stock. Bring to the boil and add the fennel. Return to the boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
Place the chicken pieces and fennel bulbs on a serving platter. Scatter over the parsley.
Pour over some of the cooking juices and serve the rest in a sauce boat.
If there is too much cooking liquid, remove the lid 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time.