Chicken with HB Pastis, Tomatoes, Onions and Olives
• 1 chicken cut into pieces
• ½ cup of HB Pastis
• ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons of olive oil
• 2 medium onions finely cut into rounds
• 4 peeled ripe tomatoes, seeds removed and cut into cubes
• 6 chopped garlic cloves
• 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
• 2/3 cup of black olives (Kalamata or Niçoise) seeds removed and roughly chopped
• 1 bunch of fresh basil, cut into long thin strips.
• Salt and black pepper
The night before:
Place the cut chicken into pieces in a glass dish so that all of the pieces are on the same level. Sprinkle the chicken with Pastis and ¼ cup of olive oil, season with black pepper. Cover with plastic film and leave the dish in the refrigerator.
On the day of cooking:
In a casserole, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat.
Add the 2 onions and sauté them for about 7 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, garlic and fennel seeds and cook 15 minutes, mixing frequently. The mixture should resemble a sauce.
Add the chicken with its marinade in the casserole. Cover the chicken pieces with the vegetables. Cover and cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
Add the olives and half of the basil, cover and mix a few times, then cook 30 minutes longer. Season with salt.
To serve, place a few noodles in the plates. Place the chicken on top and pour on the sauce. Garnish with the remaining basil and serve immediately.
Tip: you can serve with the special bread for eating the sauce.
© photo : Adobe Stock - Monkey Business