HB Bourdaloue pie by Jean-Baptiste Baitarian
Ingredients for 6 persons
(using a 27cm wide pie pan)
For the crust :
· 200 g flour
· 80 g powdered sugar
· 50 g almond powder
· 1 pinch of salt
· 125 g butter
· 1 egg
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the frangipane cream :
· 110 g softened butter
· 110 g blond sugar
· 110 g almond powder
· 2 eggs
· 1 tsp of bitter almond extract
· 3 tbsp Pastis Henri Bardouin
For the toppings :
· 3 big pears
· Flaked almonds
· blond sugar
· A few pats of butter
The crust :
1. In a bowl, mix the flour, the powdered sugar, the almond powder and the salt.
2. Cut the butter into small pieces and add it to the previous mix. Lightly work the ingredients together with your fingers until obtaining a sandy mix
3. Blend in the eggs and the vanilla extract, then knead until your dough is homogeneous.
4. Shape your dough into a flattened ball, cover the bowl and set in the fridge for about an hour.
The frangipane cream :
1. In a bowl, work the butter with a spoon or a spatula for a few minutes until creamy.
2. Add the sugar and mix until it becomes creamy
3. Pour the almond powder and give a few turns with the spoon.
4. Add one egg and mix it well into the preparation. Repeat this operation with the second egg.
5. Finish by adding the bitter almond extract and the Pastis Henri Bardouin. Blend homogeneously then cover and place in the fridge.
The pears :
1. Wash, remove the stem and peel the pears.
2. Cut into two and remove the seeds. You get 6 half-pears
3. Cut the half-pear accross the width into 3 to 5 mm thick slices.
Take care of keeping the slices next to one another so as to keep the shape of the pear.
The presentation and the cooking :
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Take the crust dough out of the fridge. Roll on a floured surface into a circle shape. Make it slightly bigger than the pie pan and if possible, around 5mm thick.
3. Place the dough into the pan and prick with a fork. If there are leftovers of dough, you can make additional tartlets.
4. Take the frangipane cream out of the fridge and mix with a spoon during a few seconds. Pour it over the crust and spread evenly.
5. Arrange the half-pear in a star shape on the frangipane cream, stem side toward the center. To help you, use a spatula to transfer the half-pear in one go.
6. Spread some flaked almonds on top of the frangipane cream (try to avoid the pears). On top of the pears, spread some blond sugar and on each one, place a small pat of butter.
7. Place in the oven during 30minutes (fan oven program) at 180°C until the dough and the cream are golden.
8. Take out of the oven and let it cool a while. Eat right away !